Friday, July 22, 2011

The Ilusion of Time

Okay, so we've created this illusion of time as part of the measuring system in order to organize our complex lives and compare them with others who manage their lives with similar tools.  Granted, this feature of our existence can be extremely helpful in creating and managing social activities with others.   But should any measuring system designed to organize life become the primary governing force behind it?

I learned to put "time" in what feels like an appropriate place in my life when I had an interesting experience as a kid.  I remember riding in the backseat of a car with my parents on a long trip.  At one point we were traveling on a popular interstate highway and there was bumper-to-bumper traffic on the other side due to either construction or an accident.   I don't remember now what caused the traffic to back up on the other side, I just remember thinking about one thing for several miles.....  Once we got past the gridlock, I noticed the cars moving on the other side at or above the speed limit again.   These travelers seemingly would have no idea of the traffic they were about to encounter unless they were prepared by someone who saw what was ahead.  In those moments, I remember thinking.....I had the capability to see their future, their present and their past while they may not even be thinking about me and mine.

Ever since that car ride, I have been able to see time from a seemingly different perspective than most who apply it to their lives around me.  While many seem to be governed by the illusion of time, I feel that life is more governed by our choices than anything else.  We have the free will to choose our perspective no matter how much laws and philosophies are mandated or suggested to us.  My choice more often than not has been to see life as ONE GREAT BIG MOMENT!

No matter who else has a perspective on my life, from where I sit ....NOW is the moment that matters most.  Now seems to matter most because I still seem to have some access and control over it.   I realize that I don't always have the same reign over the past or future reality.   Nor does giving too much energy to either perspective have as much of an impact as what I think and do NOW.   When I reflect on the past, I have realized that even then....whatever I did was in the "present" perhaps with anticipation or expectation of what might occur in the perceived future that might be different than the perceived past in that same moment.

So what does this all say about the illusion of time?  I'll leave that for you to ponder and even comment if you wish.  And if you care to, comment on one or any of these considerations below:

One of the phrases I often hear repeated (seemingly unconsciously) is "I don't have time for that!"  And I'll ask my blog readers...
  1. "Why not?"  Is there quite often something more important than what occurs in the NOW?  and if so..what makes it more important?
  2. Or do we really feel like we are short on time because we have limited ourselves to its partitions in planning activities with others who are governed by time as well?"
  3. Does the fear of aging, death or sickness in the perceived future have any thing to do the perception that time is scarce?
I'll end today's post by suggesting that you ask yourself these questions the next time you say "I don't have time...."   And you may want to consider what is priority in your life in the moment that may matter most...."NOW!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment